Friday, April 20, 2012

Bridal Bootcamp

Many of you know that a big part of my *why*...why I'm pushing myself to shed the lb's and get healthy.. is due to the fact that I am getting married in August of this year. I have to tell you, not one bit of the idea of getting married scares me and I am so excited to wed my best friend and the man of my dreams. What DOES make me nervous? The way I feel in my dress and the way I look in the pictures! If I don't feel beautiful on my wedding day, I certainly won't look it. And, the pictures are forever. Yes photoshop exists, but who can afford the time or money it would take to go through every last picture and airbrush away the weight?? Ummmm, yeah.......... not me! So I'm working out hard six days a week, eating 5 meals per day, drinking lots of water and making sure I'm getting impeccable nutrition into my system (ie - Shakeology). Yes - it's working and I'm going to absolutely look and feel amazing on my day. *not trying to sound vein - it's simply an affirmation* In any matter, now and then I get nosey online. What are other brides out there doing to get in shape or shed unwanted weight? You would not believe what I found today!!! There is something out there called the K-E Diet. It involves being on a slow drip of protein and fat. Your doctor inserts a feeding tube through your nose and down into your stomach. The tube is connected to a baggie full of a solution containing the proteins and fats. You remain on the slow drip for 10 days. You don't eat anything else, just what you're getting through the tube. The claim is that you can lose up to 20lbs in 10 days and that your body undergoes ketosis which leaves the muscle intact.
Here is what ketosis is in regards to a diet according to Wikipedia:

"If the diet is changed from a highly glycemic diet to a diet that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process, blood glucose levels are maintained through gluconeogenesis, and the adult brain does not burn ketones. However, the brain makes immediate use of ketones for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.[7]
Ketosis is deliberately induced by use of a ketogenic diet as a medical intervention in cases of intractable epilepsy.[6] Other uses of low-carbohydrate diets remain controversial."

Sounds like nothing more than a liquid version of the Adkins diet if you ask me. And, we all know that absolutely it works.. at first. It's what happens as soon as you introduce any form of carbohydrate back into your body that strips this "diet" of it's credibility or viability. Fellow bride's and friends alike - be smart and make choices for yourself and your body that are healthy and sustainable. Make a lifestyle change and DON'T chase after magic pills and quick fixes!!
If it sounds or seems too good to be true, it probably is!!
http://gma.yahoo.com/k-e-diet-brides-using-feeding-tubes-rapidly-080053646--abc-news-health.html

No comments:

Post a Comment